Friday, August 8, 2014

Todaro's Music Pt. 3

Here's a look at some more stuff at Todaro's Music. First, here's a guitar I would love to have if I had the money and the need for another guitar... well if I had the money... a Danelectro Convertible. (The tan one in the middle.)

I'm a big fan of these guitars. I really like the whole aesthetic of Danos. Cheaply made, consisting of a poplar frame with masonite top and back. If I had this one, I'd put a lipstick tube in the slot, and then set up a piezo pickup under the bridge. That way you'd get the Danelectro jangle and then have the option to get an acoustic sound. For more info on Danelectro guitars, check here for vintage, and here for current.

On to something a little more "out there." Some Harp guitars. Harp guitars were popular back in the early 1900s, and are making a comeback now. The first harp guitar I saw was the one Robbie Robertson played in the Last Waltz, which was a Gibson Harp Guitar. 



The next one I remember seeing was The Dyer Harp Guitar that the late great Michael Hedges played.  


Joe has two harp guitars in his store, one of which has a label of "Teodoro Fuso." This one is a ten-string on the guitar side with four bass strings on the harp side. 


The other one doesn't have a label that I could see, but looks to have some age on it. It has a regular six string on the guitar side, with six bass strings on the harp side.


For more information on harp guitars check out this site. http://www.harpguitars.net/

Next time, we'll look at some more esoteric instruments.




No comments:

Post a Comment