Sunday, September 4, 2011

Steve Goodman

Music affects the emotions, this is a given. The reasons why are not so clear. Personally I find that there are certain pieces, songs, sounds and artists that have a certain effect on me, and I want to mention two artists that put me in a good mood at just about any time: Steve Goodman and Henry Thomas.
Two different types of artists, from different time periods, but whenever I hear them, I can’t help but smile. Oh sure, they both did sad songs, but overwhelmingly their music is happy, upbeat, and joyous. Or at least that’s what I get from it.
Let’s start with Steve Goodman. He was born 1948, and died 1984. The song he is best known for is "The City of New Orleans", which was a hit for Arlo Guthrie, and covered by a number of other artists.


The City of New Orleans
During his life he suffered from and eventually died from leukemia. But enough of the biography, what I get from Goodman, and what I think is the most important thing is fun. You can tell he is enjoying himself. His songs are funny, and his presentation shows that he is having fun performing. He also didn’t take himself too seriously. He could have easily gone down the suffering artist role, he knew he didn’t have much time, but instead of moping, he lived life to the fullest. In the song, "You Better Get It While You Can (The Ballad of Carl Martin)" although he’s talking about the musician Carl Martin, he could just as easily expressing his own outlook on life.

You Better Get it While You Can (The Ballad of Carl Martin)



This one, co-written with John Prine is one of my favorite songs.

John Prine and Steve Goodman - Souvenirs (plus You're the Girl I Love)

2 comments:

  1. Steve Goodman was a god. Man could we use someone like him these days. I also listen to Goodman when I'm feeling low and he always turns it around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to see Steve Goodman at the Main Point in Bryn Mawr, PA. I can't tell you how many times the last set would go long and his friends would come up on the stage and join in. I really miss all the talent the Main Point brought to this area. Thanks for reminding me how good it all was!

    ReplyDelete