Monday, November 5, 2012

Indifference

Every so often, you hear a song done differently from the way you normally hear the song and it makes you look at it in a new light.  Recently I was listening to a bootleg that was given to me - David Lindley at the Freebird Cafe, Jacksonville Beach Fla. from 11/4/03. In this performance David plays Warren Zevon's 'Indifference of Heaven." Now I'm familiar with this song from Warren's "Learnig to Flinch" album, but I was ... well... indifferent to it. The guitar sound on that album doesn't really appeal to me. It's strummy 12 string with piezo pickup, which just sounds... in my opinion...bad. So I think that influenced my thoughs on the song which I wouldn't consider one of my favorite WZ songs..
When I heard Lindley play it, I said "Wow, that's a really good song."  It really put the song up a notch. Maybe not in my top 10 Zevon songs, but possibly in the top 20. (If I kept such a list) So here it is, first Warren's version, and then David's version. Which do you prefer?

Warren Zevon
 
 
David Lindley
 
and for something different, here's David playing it on Weissenborn.
 
 

Websites

Warren Zevon Forum

David Lindley Webpage

No comments:

Post a Comment