Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Michael Daves

I didn't mention who opened up for David Bromberg when I saw him on 11/10/12. I wasn't aware of the opening act and was pleasantly surprised when out walked Michael Daves. I first heard of Michael when the album he did with Chris Thile, "Sleep With One Eye Open" came out in 2011. Now I like bluegrass, but I don't like it when it gets too slick. I like bluegrass when it has a rawness to it, and Michael definitely plays it raw. He played a half hour or so of bluegrass standards on a low budget funky guitar, and his vocals sound like he came straight out of the hills.  After his set, I went out to buy his cd, and Michael was standing there selling them. I was able to talk to him for a couple of minutes, and he was a really nice guy. I asked about his guitar, thinking it was an old 1950s Stella of Harmony. He said it was a plywood Truetone guitar that was distributed bt Montgomery Ward. He also had a Martin on stage, but only played the Truetone. I said that I thought that the sound of the plywood guitar really fit the sound of the music that he plays.
Check him out for yourself

Muleskinner Blues

 
 
Loneliness and Desperation


 
 
 
Rain and Snow


With Chris Thile
Roll In My Sweey Baby's Arms


Tiny Desk Concert from NPR

No comments:

Post a Comment