Thursday, December 6, 2012

Guilty Pleasures

Okay, you've probably figured out that I'm not really a fan of Pop Music... well, no ... let me rephrase that... I'm not a fan of a lot of current pop. There is some pop from the 1960s, through the 1980s that I like, but most of the new stuff just doesn't appeal to me. However, you can't really get away from it when people around you listen to it, so I hear it, and occasionally there's something I hear that I ...kinda like.
Anyway, a while back,I was reading through Talkbass.com and there was this one post that a bass player in a cover band wrote about "Ever hate a song so much you'd risk being fired?" And I was thinking of all of the times I had to play Margaritaville, which I never liked, and wondered what song someone could hate so much, that the'd risk getting fired over. Well, the song was Call me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen. I hadn't heard it, so of course looked it up.


Well, it's catchy, and the videos kinda funny, and I didn't see why a cover band would not play it. I mean that's what cover bands do...cover popular songs. Well, after that I started to hear it more, and it kinda grew on me, but then I saw this video, and well, that did it.


Maybe it's because I grew up around Philly, and The Roots are a Philly band, or maybe it's because of the instrumentation. I mean melodica, bongos, ukulele, kazoos, toy xylophone, and Questlove playing guiro with a comb...or maybe it's just the overall goofyness of this video, but I have to admit, I like this song, but I love this version! So there you have it, a guilty pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment